JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS
PROJECT ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT – Austin, TX
Workers Defense Project (“WDP”) is seeking a Project Administrative Assistant to support WDP’s efforts to distribute emergency financial relief to communities experiencing economic hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly those who are ineligible for other forms of government assistance. This is a full-time, temporary position that is funded through December 22, 2020.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is able to maintain close attention to detail while managing multiple responsibilities. They should have experience in administrative functions within a nonprofit or community organization. Spanish-speaking candidates preferred, but fluency is not required. Finally, a strong candidate should be committed to WDP’s identity as a member-based organization that is dedicated to building worker power. Spanish-speaking candidates preferred, but fluency is not required.
We’re seeking candidates who have what it takes to support WDP administer a large direct assistance distribution during a moment of crisis. Candidates should have strong people skills, be able to move multiple projects forward without letting tasks fall through the cracks, and have the flexibility and initiative required to adapt their work in response to shifting circumstances or unexpected challenges.
About Workers Defense Project
WDP is a 501(c)3, statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has a membership base of low-wage workers in the construction sector and their families. Through innovative sectoral organizing strategies, WDP has won unprecedented victories for construction workers, low-wage workers, and immigrants in Texas. WDP uses innovative strategies including direct action, legal tactics, policy advocacy and communications to wage and win campaigns, working in coalition with diverse allies.
About WDP’s High Risk Worker Program
Workers Defense Project is already helping low-wage, high-risk, immigrant/undocumented workers and their families stay safe, healthy and financially stable during the COVID-19 pandemic. The High Risk Worker Program expands the organization’s capacity to provide critical resources, information, legal case management, and direct financial assistance to high-risk workers. The Program will also engage community organizers, member leaders and promotorxs throughout the process to create a robust, comprehensive community system that can holistically support and engage Austin’s low-wage, high-risk, hard-to-reach workers in the months and years to come.
- Recording and tracking of all program expenses and purchases;
- Support project team with reporting requirements including compiling data and financial reports;
- Ensure compliance with WDP’s protocols and grant requirements;
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively with and be responsive to diverse clients experiencing a problem or crisis;
- Coordinate with Direct Assistance Manager on logistics for distribution for WDP’s financial assistance program; and
- Additional project tasks as assigned.
Note: This position requires working from our office and will be required to comply with WDP COVID19 protocols.
- Strong administrative and time management skills, and attention to detail required;
- Experience working in an administrative role within a nonprofit or community organization setting;
- Experience in client-facing services;
- Demonstrated experience with expense tracking and financial reporting;
- Proficiency in basic computer systems;
- Commitment to work at least 40 hours a week through the end of December 2020, including some evenings and weekends, as needed;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (though Spanish fluency is not required); and
- Access to reliable transportation, a valid drivers license and up-to-date auto insurance.
- Hourly rate of $23/hour for up to 40 hours per week; and
- Paid sick leave and paid holidays.
How to Apply:
Those interested in applying should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Project Administrative Assistant.” All attachments submitted should be in .pdf format. Incomplete applications will not be considered. While there is no firm application deadline, it is recommended that candidates submit their materials as soon as possible. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
WDP is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, immigrants, female, and LBGTQ individuals to apply.