JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
CAMPAIGN ORGANIZER in Houston, TX
Workers Defense Project (WDP) is seeking a full-time Campaign Organizer in Houston, TX. The Campaign Organizer will lead our efforts to establish and grow a membership base of low-wage workers – primarily in the construction industry – to organize, build power, and defend their right to a just and safe workplace.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to identify, recruit, and develop leaders through canvassing strategic work sites, neighborhoods, and community institutions. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload. This position is an excellent opportunity to work alongside low-wage workers in their fight for fair employment and just immigration policy.
About Workers Defense Project
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country”
● Establish and grow a membership base of low-wage workers – primarily in the construction industry – to organize, build power, and defend their right to a just and safe workplace;
● Develop WDP leaders in Houston by fostering the analysis, knowledge, and skills necessary to participate effectively in campaign and organizing work;
● Conduct canvassing in strategic work sites, neighborhoods, and community institutions to recruit new WDP members;
● Support members to plan and take direct action in support of improved health and safety standards, as well as WDP strategic campaigns; and
● Conduct 1:1s, house visits, etc. with potential leaders to build relationships and engage them in campaign work.
● A track record of identifying, recruiting, and developing leaders through canvassing strategic work sites, neighborhoods, and community institutions;
● Fluency in Spanish & English (required); Houston Campaign Organizer 10/2016 Workers Defense Project Page 1 of 2
● A demonstrated ability to communicate well with people from diverse backgrounds (including faith, labor, and Latina/o immigrants, etc.);
● A commitment to social justice, furthering workers rights, and building a broader labor movement;
● An ability to motivate and inspire people to take action;
● A demonstrated track record as a self-starter with the ability to work independently, but also to work effectively as a member of a team; and
● A willingness to put in extra time and effort to meet urgent deadlines.
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
How to apply: Send resume, cover letter, and two references to email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled.
WDP is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, immigrants, female, and LBGTQ individuals to apply.