JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: ESL Instructor
Austin, TX | Applications accepted until position filled
ESL INSTRUCTOR POSITIONS
WDP is committed to helping improve the quality of life of immigrant workers. To achieve this goal, WDP offers English as a Second Language (ESL) courses for its members. ESL Instructors provide participants with the opportunity to learn important English skills while building a broader understanding of social inequality through the curriculum. ESL instructors use multiple resources to create and deliver tailored lessons plans. Instructors will also evaluate student learning at regular intervals to assess progress.
- Use textbooks and other materials to plan interactive lessons for class size ranging from 10 to 20 (8-week course)
- Keep track of student attendance and establish a student persistence plan
- Maintain communication with students about their absences
- Remind students about class policies, changes in class schedule, special events, etc.
- Administer mid-semester student evaluation and make necessary adjustments based on student feedback
- Meet with program administrator after at least one scheduled class observation
- Facilitate projects for students to present at an end of semester event
- Help students develop goals and track progress from the beginning to the end of each semester
- Work with a teaching assistant (if available)
- Create activities for preparation, learning and follow-up for up to 3 field trips during the course
- Invite outside speakers to talk to class to incorporate information students request about healthcare, finances, etc
- Prepare students for monthly field trips and accompany class during field trips
- Incorporate technology (laptops or computer lab) for class projects
- Write weekly class summaries
- Work with other teachers to share best practices and lesson ideas
- Prepare classes for substitutes as needed
HOURS & COMPENSATION
- Locations: We have positions available for two locations
Manos de Cristo, 4911 Harmon Ave. Austin, TX 78751
Workers Defense Project, 5604 Manor Rd. Austin, TX 78723
- Hours: 6 hours of classroom instruction weekly and 2 hours of planning time weekly, for a 16-week semester. Morning shifts available: Monday-Thursday 9-12PM. Evening shifts available: Monday-Thursday 6-9PM
- Pay: This is a part-time position paid at $15 an hour (~8 hours a week).
- Duration: This is a temporary position for both locations, Manos De Cristo classes will extend from August 21st-December 22nd. Workers Defense Project classes will extend from September 11th-December 22nd. The position may be extended for the Spring 2018 semester.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date to apply: Applications accepted until position filled.
WDP is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, immigrants, female, and LBGTQ individuals to apply.