JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR in Austin, Dallas, or Houston, TX
Workers Defense is seeking a full-time Communications Director to develop and execute WD’s overall communications strategies that complement and enhance ongoing and future grassroots organizing and fundraising campaigns.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of planning and executing comprehensive communication and digital strategies in a fast-paced campaign environment. He or she will be committed to getting results and able to handle a heavy workload. The communications director will work directly with WD members and allies and be deeply involved in campaign strategy. This position is an excellent opportunity to engage working people, business and industry leaders, nongovernmental organizations, and policymakers.
About Workers Defense Project
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country.”
Workers Defense Action Fund
Workers Defense Action Fund (WDAF) seeks to build a long-lasting infrastructure that will engage working Texans in the electoral and legislative processes that affect their lives. WDAF educates and informs voters about their rights, advocates for stronger protections for workers, and engages historically underrepresented voters in campaigns to elect representatives that care about working families’ needs.
Job Description: Communications Director
The Communications Director will work collaboratively with Workers Defense’s organizing, policy, and development staff to advance strategic campaigns, raise funds, uplift our members’ stories and raise the organization’s profile. Workers Defense is looking for a motivated individual that can build our public presence online and offline, grow our base of supporters, and bring workers’ voices to the forefront.
- Design and carry out the organization’s overall communications strategy and plan in partnership with key leadership staff;
- Drive media relations program in support of key organizational objectives;
- Develop and maintain relationships with press in key geographies including Dallas, Austin, Houston and nationally;
- Respond to incoming press requests in a timely and strategic manner;
- Produce and coordinate the organization’s online presence;
- Oversee the implementation and evaluation of digital media campaigns;
- Manage departmental operations including press lists and calendars;
- Train and prepare staff and members on speaking to the press;
- Work closely with WD’s key coalition partners and allies to develop a coordinated media strategy; and
- Additional tasks as assigned.
- Experience managing communications staff;
- Experience securing earned press coverage and engaging with or managing the press;
- Experience executing strategic communication plans through traditional and digital communications;
- Proven experience designing, executing, and tracking successful email, SMS, social media, and other digital advocacy programs;
- Experience in crafting and pitching campaigns to bloggers and websites;
- Demonstrated track record or propensity to thrive in a team-based, collaborative environment;
- Commitment to building power with marginalized communities, including working people, immigrants, and people of color; and
- Must have a valid driver’s license and insured vehicle.
- Fluent in Spanish.
Workers Defense offers competitive pay in addition to employer-paid health, vision, dental, and life insurance, a generous paid holiday schedule, paid vacation, sick, and personal leave, and a paid parental leave policy. The salary floor for this position is $64,000.
How to apply:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references with subject line “Comms Director” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an equal opportunity employer, Workers Defense Project embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of age, race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.