Job Opening: Census Community Phone Banker (Austin)
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Workers Defense Project (WDP) is seeking part-time community phone bankers to conduct 2020 Census outreach communities at risk of being undercounted in the 2020 Census in the Travis County area. This is a temporary position through June 2020.
The ideal candidate will have deep connections and understanding of the communities Workers Defense organizes, community and/or labor organizing experience, and be committed to building worker power to create a more just economy for working families. We will be conducting phone calls to encourage our community to participate in the 2020 Census. We are seeking self-starting, highly energetic, responsible canvassers, who are passionate about making a difference for working families in Texas! This is a temporary, hourly, part time position. Training will be provided.
About Workers Defense Project
Workers Defense Project is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country.”
- Perform targeted phone banking in assigned, pre-selected communities, under direction of the Lead Canvasser;
- Educate community members about the 2020 Census;
- Distribute educational materials when going door-to-door;
- Participate in trainings and other meetings, as assigned; and
- Document information regarding all required metrics and canvass results including information such as the number of homes canvassed, the number of calls made, and number of contacts made.
- Great people skills- able to hold conversation with people by phone;
- Ability to work 30-40 hours per week (Sunday-Thursday 12:30pm-5:30pm);
- Must be able to phone bank for 4 hours during each shift;
- Passionate about social justice;
- Ability to use an electronic tablet or smartphone to record information; and
- Spanish speaker.
Preferred Qualifications – some canvassing positions will require driving:
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
Compensation: Positions have a commitment from April 1st – June 1st, 2020 starting at $15.50/hr. Hours will run between 30-40 hours per week, including work on evenings and weekends.
Training: Paid training will be provided and will be given all the tools needed to succeed.
How to apply: Please send a resume or interest in applying to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Census Community Canvasser.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Workers Defense is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQIA+ community.