POSITION OPENING: AmeriCorps Education Coordinator
AmeriCorps Education Coordinator in Austin, TX | August 2019 – July 2020
About Workers Defense Project:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members.
WDP is one of the few organizations in Texas focused on addressing workplace abuse faced by low-wage laborers. Among the most established worker centers in the South, and a leader in the national movement of worker centers fighting for fair conditions for working people, WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country”.
Each year, WDP serves over 2,500 workers through offices in Austin, Dallas, and Houston by way of various social-service and organizing programs. WDP concentrates its efforts on winning better work conditions in the construction industry, among the most powerful special interest groups in Texas, employing over 900,000 workers, half of whom are undocumented.
“The AmeriCorps NCCC mission is: To strengthen communities and develop leaders through team-based national and community service. AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. Members commit their time to address critical community needs like increasing academic achievement, mentoring youth, fighting poverty, sustaining national parks, preparing for disasters, and more.”
To apply directly through the AmeriCorps website, please create a My AmeriCorps account here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do
For more information about AmeriCorps: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps
About The Literacy Coalition of Central Texas
“The Literacy Coalition improves the quality and increases the availability of literacy services for Central Texans.
VISION: We envision a community that is 100 percent literate, employable and engaged.
STRATEGY: The core strategy of the organization is to embed its high-quality, proven programming in the business, education and workforce sectors outside of the K-12 system to end the intergenerational cycle of poverty and illiteracy. Programs and services are designed to deepen the impact of local nonprofits, strengthen the business workforce, and build stronger communities.”
To apply directly through The Literacy Coalition, please see here:
For more information about The Literacy Coalition: https://willread.org/
The AmeriCorps Education Coordinator position will assist the coordination and operation of key Austin-based educational programming, including the ESL program, the Health/Safety Literacy program, Apprenticeship Readiness Program, and weekly outreach events. Through these educational direct services, WDP provides concrete hard and soft skills development opportunities for its members.
The position will require coordination of ESL classes, as well as assisting in planning social events, outreach events, and activities to educate the membership base of WDP. The Education Coordinator reports directly to the Education Programs Manager in Austin, Miriam Dorantes. This position is made possible through collaboration with The Literacy Coalition of Central Texas and AmeriCorps.
- Registration, recruitment, and wrap-around support services for the ESL program, and the Health/Safety Literacy program, Apprenticeship Readiness Program, and outreach opportunities.
- Teaching Monday and Wednesday ESL night classes at WDP 3 semesters within their AmeriCorps term.
- Manage and support Teaching Assistants as well as other education program volunteers.
- Cultivate relationships with community partners for opportunities that support the development of WDP’s organizing framework.
- Work collaboratively with workers, advocates, community/state/federal partners to build and sustain quality educational programming for WDP members.
- Identify and build leaders from our membership base to take on roles in our organization such as 1 on 1s and training in Know-Your-Rights
- Track and evaluate education programs through our Organizational Database
- Assist with Austin-based volunteer registration and orientation when needed.
- Fluent in Spanish
- Teach ESL and facilitate Know Your Rights Workshops
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people
- Commitment to leadership development and principles of popular education
- Detail-oriented and ability to work independently
- Strong computer literacy skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and begin your AmeriCorps application here: https://willread.org/texas-family-literacy-americorps.
Closing date to apply: Applications accepted until position filled.
WDP is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, immigrants, female, and LBGTQ individuals to apply.