JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
WORKPLACE JUSTICE CAMPAIGN ORGANIZER in Austin, TX
Workers Defense Project (WDP) is seeking a full-time Workplace Justice Organizer in Austin, TX.
The Workplace Justice Organizer engages low-wage workers in campaigns to build power and a voice for working people – primarily construction workers – in the state of Texas. This organizer will work as part of an organizing team to organize low-wage and immigrant workers to defend their workplace rights and take action in Workers Defense Project strategic campaigns. Campaigns range from supporting members to plan and execute direct action to win back-wages from an employer, to engaging workers on strategic commercial construction sites in support of broader-based organizing campaigns. This organizer will develop member leadership through committees, membership meetings, direct action and other organizational activities. The Campaign Organizer is a full-time, salaried, FLSA-exempt position. The Workplace Justice Organizer will report to the Lead Organizer.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to identify, recruit, and develop leaders through canvassing strategic work sites, neighborhoods, and community institutions. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload. This position is an excellent opportunity to work alongside low-wage workers in their fight for fair employment and just immigration policy.
About Workers Defense Project
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country”
● Facilitate and grow a committee of active members to achieve strategic campaign goals
● Support members who have experienced wage theft to engage in direct action to win back
● Strategic outreach to construction sites in support of Workers Defense strategic campaigns
● Identify, recruit, and develop members as leaders in fights to win workplace justice
● Conduct 1:1s, house visits, etc. with potential leaders to build relationships and engage them
in campaign work
● Leadership development with members to develop analysis, knowledge & skills to participate
effectively in campaign & organizing work
● Support member leaders to coordinate social events to maintain membership engagement
and build a sense of community
● Support organization-wide campaigns & initiatives as necessary; i.e. national mobilizations for immigration reform, state legislature, etc.
● Achieve and be accountable to specific goals for recruitment of workers into the organization and membership
● Maintain accurate and up-to-date data & records of member participation
● Other duties as assigned.
● 1-2 years of experience in community or labor organizing
● Experience with worksite organizing (strongly preferred).
● Personal connection to our membership base (preferred).
● Past experience working in the construction industry or with construction workers (Preferred).
● Bilingual in Spanish & English (required).
● Communicates well with people from diverse backgrounds (including faith, labor, and Latina/o immigrants, etc.);
● Commitment to social justice, furthering workers rights, and building a broader labor movement. Also understands the systemic nature of oppression.
● Ability to motivate and inspire people to take action
● Willing to put in extra time and effort to meet urgent deadlines;
● Computer literate and demonstrated proficiency with technology (Microsoft Word, Excel,
● Excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Superior leadership, critical thinking, and strategic planning skills.
● Must own a motor vehicle, preferably a car, and must be willing to travel statewide;
● Ability to work irregular hours including nights and weekends;
Compensation: Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Workers Defense provides a generous benefits package including employer-paid health insurance, paid sick, vacation, and personal days, and 403b retirement fund for eligible employees.
How to apply: Send resume, cover letter, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.
WDP is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, immigrants, female, and LBGTQ individuals to apply.