Volunteer: Volunteering with WDP is a rewarding experience. Not only will you help workers and their families defend their rights, but you will also help build a more just society. To receive information about our next orientation chose your city below and complete the form.
ADULT EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Childcare Provider – When parents attend our classes, they need to focus on the material rather than the needs of their children. Easier said than done, right? Having a person they can trust to provide quality childcare makes all the difference. Are you that person? We hope so!
- English Partner – Join students in our ESL classes to practice basic conversation in English, play games and socialize at English Partner Night!
- Program Assistant – Under supervision, assist in the preparation, promotion and management of AET programs. Write
or research content for lessons.
- Substitute Instructor – We offer classes on a schedule that fits around the work and home commitments of our adult students. Class cancellation due to instructor absence can negatively impact student retention. Having a well-established substitute list minimizes student drop rates.
- Press List Assistant – Build a TV news, radio, and newspaper list of press contacts in Miami, Atlanta, and Nashville for a WDP study release next year that will help ensure that workers around the country are able to share their stories with the press.
- Digital Associate – Update and maintain our social media pages at designated times and events.
EMPLOYMENT & LEGAL SERVICES
- DAPA Community Navigator – Pending a favorable decision at the Supreme Court in June, WDP is prepared to assist the local immigrant community in applying for DAPA and DACA. Community Navigators would assist in outreach efforts and help WDP members apply during legal clinics.
- Workers Rights Advocate – Support local low-wage workers, who have experienced wage theft and other abuses on the job, at WDPs weekly Tuesday night junta, by collecting information and assisting in completion of paperwork required to file a claim.
MEMBER SERVICES & ORGANIZING
- Database Management Assistant – Compile, manipulate and organize member data in our database, to help us track engagement and leadership development, and identify errors that might delay member registration and dues processing.
- Member Outreach Volunteer – Facilitate short presentations to prospective members, and anyone else interested in learning more about our organization, on the benefits of WDP membership and the services we offer.
- Member Event Coordinator – Help plan, recruit for and execute annual member engagement events e.g., Talent Night, Christmas Party, Posada.
- Phone Banker – Call members to inform them of upcoming actions and events, and collect information needed to update their profile in our database.
- Welcome Table – Help the reception area feel safe and inviting by greeting new and returning members with clear direction on sign-in procedures and where to go next. Assist staff in collecting information for member registration and dues processing.
OFFICE & ADMINISTRATION
- Building & Grounds Maintenance – Perform light cleaning, manage trash and recycling, and help get things generally better organized. For those who prefer volunteering outdoors, 5604 Manor Community Garden volunteers meet Wednesdays from 6-8PM, and Sundays from 10AM-1PM.
- Phone Banker – Call supporters to inform them of upcoming actions and events, and collect information needed to update their profile in our database.
- Translator – We have an ongoing need for oral and written translation, of both internal and external communications.
We ask oral translators to attend a brief orientation to WDP before translating an event. There is no set schedule for translating, and the time commitment is flexible. Fluency in Spanish required.
- Special Event Coordinator – We plan a number of annual events for staff, supporters, and the community at large.
These include a fundraising luncheon, retreats, event-specific online campaigns, and community outreach/partnership development events.
- Development Assistant – Support the Development team in expanding our reach to new and potential donors, through research and fundraising campaigns. Will include some data entry and preparing mailings.
- Data Entry – Support the Development team by providing data entry expertise.
RESEARCH & POLICY
- Policy Organizer – Help support preparations for the 2017 State Legislative Session, by designing and planning actions with WDP members, including Day of the Fallen, a statewide action, march and rally, that has over 600 participants!
- Day of the Fallen – March 1st – Volunteers are needed to transport participants and materials, to serve as march marshalls, participate in legislative visits, lead chants and songs in the march, provide translation throughout the day.
- Day of the Fallen – Banner/Sign Makers – 2 months out from the event, we need help preparing eye-catching visuals.
- Researcher – Assist in research projects on topics such as: immigration policy, industries that employ local immigrants, day labor policy, and worker center models across the country.