Apply for Workers Defense Project’s Summer Organizing Institute!
The institute offers an opportunity for aspiring organizers to get hands on experience with grassroots community organizing! Participants will learn a wide range of organizing skills such as worksite organizing, planning direct actions, public speaking and media relations, grassroots mobilization, lobbying, and policy research. These internship opportunities are available in Austin, Houston, and Dallas, Texas.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Internship Period: June 10, 2019 – August 9, 2019
The organizing intern will work with the Campaign Manager to provide support to strategic campaigns that are building power for immigrant workers in the city. WDP’s campaigns engage members to fight back against attacks on the immigrant community and advocate for policies that seek to create just working conditions for workers. The intern will learn to conduct worksite outreach, build relationships with community partners, identify leaders, and engage these leaders in strategic campaigns. The intern will also support actions and events to assist low-wage workers with recovering their unpaid wages.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Computer literate: Word, Internet, and e-mail, Google drive
- Ability to work independently
- Commitment to social justice
- Able to work 20-25 hours a week including some nights and weekends
- Spanish fluency preferred
Responsibilities: Intern will work with WDP staff and volunteers to:
- Conduct weekly construction worksite outreach at construction sites;
- Support summer construction blitz to collect up-to-date data on the construction industry in their respective city;
- Conduct worksite outreach presentations to train new volunteers and members to support outreach efforts;
- Identify leaders and support the organizing department in developing a core group of leaders;
- Assist with planning direct actions to help workers recover their wages or correct unsafe working conditions;
- Provide critical office and administrative support organizing efforts.
- Life-long experience and skills
- Referrals for future employment
- Possible class credit
How to apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and two professional references to Internships@workersdefense.org. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.