SPRING DEVELOPMENT INTERN (February – May)
Applications are due December 15th
Workers Defense Project is looking for a development intern to help raise money for the organization. The intern will be working with various members of the development team of Workers Defense Project to ensure WDP is meeting its fundraising goals. The development team is primarily responsible for fundraising for the organization through special events, individual donor cultivation, grant proposals, mailings, online appeals, marketing and acquiring donations from organizations, churches and law firms.
About Workers Defense Project
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country”
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Comfortable calling or visiting individuals and businesses to ask for donations;
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office, Google Docs, graphic design skills helpful;
- Ability to work independently;
- Commitment to social justice; and
- Able to work 10 to 15 hours a week.
The intern will work with the development team to:
- Assist with the execution of Amplify Austin – an annual digital fundraising campaign;
- Assist in the planning and preparation of special events;
- Help with donor appreciation – thank you letters, phone calls, etc.;
- Assist with preparation of promotional materials for donor visits and events; and
- Assist the development team with daily tasks and administration duties.
- $150 monthly stipend;
- Valuable knowledge of non-profit operations, fundraising, and inner workings of organizing in the labor movement in Texas; and
- Class credit available.
WDP is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, immigrants, and LGBTQ individuals to apply. To apply: Please send resume, cover letter and one reference to Shannon Young at email@example.com. For more information, you can check out our website at www.workersdefense.org.