JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
Oversight and Worksite Coordinator Job Description, Austin TX
Workers Defense Project (WDP) is seeking a full-time Oversight and Worksite Coordinator to lead the monitoring, oversight and certification conducted by WDP’s Better Builder® Program. Through policy change and community education, WDP’s Better Builder®️ Program seeks to improve conditions in the Texas construction industry by uplifting real estate developers and governmental entities who adopt a platform of workplace standards including living wages, OSHA-safety training, workers’ compensation coverage, local hiring goals, and independent, third-party monitoring.
The Oversight and Worksite Coordinator is an essential component of WDP’s efforts to challenge deadly and unlawful conditions in the construction industry through the Better Builder® Program. The Oversight and Worksite Coordinator will evaluate construction sites seeking Better Builder® certification in accordance with Better Builder® standards and provide technical assistance and support to third party entities accredited to assess compliance with Better Builder® Standards. The Oversight and Worksite Coordinator is an exempt, salaried position.
About Workers Defense Project
Workers Defense Project is a statewide membership-based immigrant and workers’ rights organization that builds power for construction workers in Texas. Since its founding in 2002, the organization has gained notoriety for its ability to translate direct services and grassroots organizing into concrete policy wins. The New York Times named WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country”. Through its flagship Better Builder® Program, WDP concentrates its efforts on winning better working conditions in the construction industry, which is one of the largest industries, and consequently most powerful special interest groups, in Texas.
- Conduct worksite visits to evaluate safety compliance and assess workplace conditions;
- Provide technical assistance and on-site support to third-party and public entities accredited to assess compliance with Better Builder® Standards;
- Conduct payroll reviews, request, collect and archive records and worker interviews;
- Prepare regular reports in accordance to Better Builder® Program procedures;
- Demonstrate professionalism and follow established Better Builder® Program procedures when interacting with Program stakeholders; and
- Any other activities that are necessary to carry out the work of WDP.
- OSHA-30 certified, or willingness to receive OSHA-30 certification;
- Experience in the construction industry or construction-related issues;
- Fluent in English and Spanish, written and spoken;
- Computer proficient (Microsoft Excel, Word, internet);
- Ability to work independently and juggle multiple responsibilities;
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations (immigrant construction workers; industry stakeholders; representatives of government agencies, community partners, etc);
- Ability to publicly and professionally represent WDP;
- Excellent time management, organization, administrative skills with close attention to detail; and
- Must own an insured vehicle.
- Competitive Salary;
- Full employer-covered health insurance;
- Paid vacation, personal , and sick leave;
- 403b Retirement Plan for qualified employees;
- Generous holiday paid time off; and
- Parental leave as per personnel policy.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Oversight and Worksite Coordinator”. All attachments should be in .pdf format. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The posting will be removed from the WDP website once the position has been filled.
As an equal opportunity employer, Workers Defense Project embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of age, race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.