JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR in Austin, Dallas or Houston, TX
Workers Defense Project (WDP) is seeking a full-time Development Director to lead and grow the organization’s fundraising efforts, primarily by building and maintaining relationships with individual, corporate, foundation, and union supporters. We are looking for a strategic, ambitious, and senior professional with a history of and orientation toward growing organizational revenue.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of articulating and advocating for a body of work that advances the interests of working people to diverse audiences. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment. This position is an excellent opportunity to engage working people, leaders in philanthropy, corporate leaders, and leaders in the labor movement.
About Workers Defense Project
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country.”
About Workers Defense Action Fund
Workers Defense Action Fund (WDAF) seeks to build a long-lasting infrastructure that will engage working Texans in the electoral and legislative processes that affect their lives. WDAF educates and informs voters about their rights, advocates for stronger protections for workers and engages historically underrepresented voters in campaigns to elect representatives that care about working families’ needs.
- Develop and execute fundraising strategies for both Workers Defense Project and its affiliated 501(c)4 organization, Workers Defense Action Fund;
- Provide WDP and WDAF with entrepreneurial leadership for revenue generation;
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with individual donors, foundations, and the labor movement in order to win resources that advance WDP and WDAF’s core mission;
- Grow WDP and WDAF’s major and grassroots donor base in Dallas, Houston and Austin;
- Expand the Development team’s infrastructure and operations by creating new systems and strengthening already-existing ones;
- Coordinate with WDP’s Co-Executive Directors, Grant Manager, Senior Leadership, Board of Directors, Leadership Council members and other allies to manage key funder relationships and develop strategic grant proposals for potential funders;
- Plan and execute WDP’s annual fundraiser and other fundraising events across Texas and out of state;
- Manage a team of high-performing professionals, including a Grant Manager, and provide staff development opportunities as needed;
- Collaborate with Director of Communications to develop cohesive messaging across varied segments of audiences; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5-10 years of fundraising experience, including experience securing and managing foundation grants;
- 2-3 years management experience;
- Experience working in a non-profit and fast-paced environment;
- Commitment to racial and economic justice;
- Commitment to grassroots fundraising and building community power;
- Excellent written, verbal, and listening communication skills;
- Self-motivated, hardworking individual with ability to work independently;
- Detail oriented;
- Strong project management skills and ability to juggle multiple deadlines and priorities; and
- Ability to work irregular hours, including occasional nights and weekends.
- Knowledge of statewide progressive funding landscape;
- Experience fundraising for both 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish; and
- Have Certified Fundraising Executive accreditation (CFRE).
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
How to apply: Send resume, cover letter and three professional references to email@example.com with “Development Director” on the subject line. WDP will conduct a criminal background check after making a conditional offer for this position.
WDP is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, immigrants, female, and LBGTQ individuals to apply.