JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR preferred in Austin, Dallas, or Houston TX
Workers Defense is seeking a full-time Communications Director to develop and execute WD’s overall communications strategies that complement and enhance ongoing and future grassroots organizing and fundraising campaigns.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track-record of planning and executing comprehensive communication and digital strategies in a fast-paced campaign environment. He or she will be committed to getting results and able to handle a heavy workload. This position is an excellent opportunity to engage working people, business and industry leaders, nongovernmental organizations, and policymakers.
About Workers Defense Project
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country”.
Workers Defense Action Fund
Workers Defense Action Fund (WDAF) seeks to build a long-lasting infrastructure that will engage working Texans in the electoral and legislative processes that affect their lives. WDAF educates and informs voters about their rights, advocates for stronger protections for workers and engages historically underrepresented voters in campaigns to elect representatives that care about working families’ needs.
Job Description: Communications Director
The Communications Director will work collaboratively with WD fundraising and programmatic staff to advance strategic campaigns, raise funds online, and inform constituents about our work. WD is looking for a motivated individual that can build WD’s online presence, grow its base of supporters, and bring workers voices to the forefront.
- Carry out the organization’s overall media strategy and plan in partnership with key leadership and development staff;
- Develop relationships with traditional media outlets and produce written content to enhance the organization’s profile;
- Produce and coordinate the organization’s online presence;
- Develop and promote written and visual content that speaks to the organization’s target audiences and values;
- Implement and evaluate online and social media campaigns;
- Train staff and members on speaking to the press; and
- Additional tasks as assigned.
- Experience managing communication staff;
- Experience securing earned press coverages and engaging with or managing the press;
- Experience executing strategic communication plans through traditional and digital communications;
- Proven experience designing, executing, and tracking successful email, SMS, social, and other digital advocacy programs;
- Experience in crafting and pitching campaigns to bloggers and websites;
- Demonstrated track record or propensity to thrive in a team-based collaborative environment;
- Commitment to building power with marginalized communities, including working people, immigrants, and people of color;
- Working knowledge of CSS and HTML;
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related field;
- Must have valid driver’s license and insured vehicle.
- Fluent in Spanish.
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
How to apply: Send resume, cover letter and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Workers Defense is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, immigrants, female, and LBGTQ individuals to apply.