JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
BUSINESS LIAISON in Dallas, TX
Workers Defense Project (WDP) is seeking a full-time Business Liaison to strengthen and grow WDP’s Better Builder® program, primarily by building and maintaining relationships and alliances with construction industry representatives, low-wage workers, and strategic allies in Dallas.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track-record of fostering coordination and cooperation among diverse groups. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload. This position is an excellent opportunity to engage working people, construction industry leaders, nongovernmental organizations, and policymakers.
About Workers Defense Project
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country”
- Building and maintaining strategic relationships with construction industry leaders, local policymakers, and other community stakeholders to encourage increased participation in and support of the Better Builder® Program;
- Collaborate with senior leadership to develop and implement an area-specific strategy to strengthen and grow WDP’s Better Builder® Program;
- Coordinate with WDP leadership and organizing staff to design and manage strategic campaigns to improve working conditions within the commercial and public construction industry;
- Work with legal counsel to negotiate and implement codes of conduct between WDP and commercial and public real estate developers;
- Collaborate with participating developers to ensure adherence to Better Builder® standards;
- Plan and execute press conferences and other public actions as part of strategic campaigns; and
- Collaborate with WDP organizing staff to educate construction workers about the Better Builder® program and involve construction workers in WDP campaigns and political advocacy.
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of stakeholders;
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles;
- Experiencing managing multiple projects;
- Must have current driver’s license and insured vehicle; and
- Two years of community, labor, or similar organizing experience.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
How to apply: Send resume, cover letter and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. WDP will conduct a criminal background check after making a conditional offer for this position.
WDP is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, immigrants, female, and LBGTQ individuals to apply.