JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
Director of Better Builder® and Policy, Austin, Texas preferred
Workers Defense Project is seeking a full-time Director of Better Builder & Policy, preferably based in the Austin, Texas office. The ideal candidate will have deep knowledge of the policy areas that affect Texas working families, especially in construction; extensive experience in the State of Texas; and a demonstrated track record of getting results in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple priorities across the state.
About Workers Defense Project
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country.”
JOB DESCRIPTION: BETTER BUILDER AND POLICY DIRECTOR
The Better Builder® & Policy Director is responsible for overseeing, evaluating, and developing the Better Builder® and Policy Program of Workers Defense Project. The Better Builder® & Policy Program supports WDP’s mission to win better working conditions for working people by building the power and influence of our members by improving working conditions for people who work, particularly in the construction industry, through industry research, policy advocacy, and strategic partnerships at the local, state, and national levels. The Better Builder® Program seeks to raise working standards on private sector construction sites by winning signed Better Builder® agreements with developers to raise wages, improve safety standards, and create training opportunities for workers on their development projects. Finally, the program currently monitors these Better Builder® agreements through our workplace monitoring program.
- Develop a strategic vision of the statewide Better Builder® program and manage its successful implementation
- Design the organization’s overall local and statewide policy agenda and coordinate the capacity and integration of WDP’s policy initiatives
- Work with developers and owners to raise awareness about the Better Builder® Program and build upon and strengthen existing consensus of the program’s continued efficacy
- Ensure ongoing compliance with Better Builder® standards on existing projects
- Oversee the successful implementation of WDP’s statewide research agenda and policy advocacy, including activities at the local level and the state legislature
- Manage technical assistance and support provided to WDP organizers and other programmatic staff
- Train, supervise, and evaluate Better Builder® Program and Policy staff
- Recruit and train a team of program volunteers and interns
- Develop and provide training materials for the Better Builder® and Policy Program for internal and external audiences
- Manage program budget monthly and assist with crafting annual program budget proposal
- Establish and manage partnerships and collaborations with ally institutions and organizations
- Represent the Better Builder® and Policy Program in public meetings and presentations
- Participate in the Senior Leadership Team and coordinate with other programs to integrate organizing and policy campaigns into other programmatic work
- Ensure completion of monthly reports to guide program evaluation and make recommendations
- Develop new proposals for strengthening and expanding the programmatic work of the Better Builder® and Policy Program
- Assist with fundraising efforts for WDP and the Better Builder® and Policy Program
- Any other activities that are necessary to carry out the work of WDP
- Three years of supervisory and management experience
- Two years of community or labor organizing experience
- Two years of campaign or workplace organizing experience
- Organized and detail oriented
- Willing to travel occasionally throughout Texas and nationally
- Passion and dedication to fight for the rights of working people, immigrant families, and a commitment to social justice
- Basic computer literacy (PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, & Internet)
- Able to work irregular hours (often in the evenings and weekends)
- Speak, write, and read Spanish fluently
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Own your own insured vehicle
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
How to apply: Send resume, cover letter, and two references to email@example.com with Better Builder and Policy Director in the subject. Position will remain open until filled.
As an equal opportunity employer, Workers Defense Project embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of age, race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.